Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $34.26Trending at AU $43.83
- AU $65.99Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $113.39
- AU $79.99Trending at AU $83.57
- AU $16.95Trending at AU $29.55
- AU $13.31Trending at AU $15.85
- AU $17.71Trending at AU $19.68
About this product
- DescriptionMelbourne, 1893. Banks are crashing, businesses failing, the unemployed and starving marching in the streets. The aftermath of the greed and corruption of the 1880s is 'an infer of dishonesty and ruthlessness'. In this splendidly interconnecting vel, a combination of history and fiction, a bank liquidator seeks justice for the victims of the crash. He confronts official obstruction and blackmail. A department store is fighting for survival. A young woman with 'the latest retailing experience' arrives from Lancashire. Love affairs flicker and flare. A rich cast, layer after layer of plots, arresting scenes, social documents, marvellously evoke the era. The embattled city broods in a sultry summer, a deadly autumn.
- Author BiographyMarshall Browne, born in Melbourne, is a sixth generation Australian. His forbear was one of the founders of Australia's first bank and Marshall has worked in Australia, Hong Kong, London, and Bhutan, in a variety of banking roles. He also served as a commando in the Australian forces, and as a paratrooper in the British forces. He is the author of the Inspector Anders crime series.
- Author(s)Marshall Browne
- PublisherDuffy and Snellgrove
- Date of Publication01/08/2003
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationPotts Point
- Country of PublicationAustralia
- ImprintDuffy and Snellgrove
- Out-of-print date14/10/2016
- Content Notemaps
- Weight289 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.