All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.83
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $97.85
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.18
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.95
- AU $69.55Trending at AU $86.07
About this product
- DescriptionReviewing The Collected Greed Parts 1-13 (Black Sparrow, 1984) in the Los Angeles Times, critic Kenneth Funsten heralded Diane Wakoski as a mature poet, unimpressed by obfuscation or autobiography for their own sakes, but intent upon illuminating substance .That same clarity of vision and illuminating substance pervades this new and selected volume, which gathers together the long awaited Greed: Part 14 along with all Wakoski's poems written over the years concerning food and drink , as the poet explains in her introduction, and the beauty that I have discovered through these subjects .Plath imagined blood red tulips in white hospitals as I think of Georgia O'Keefe's poppies. My mother who voted for Nixon and hates foreigners dreams of those red and white cans which might hold Chicken Noodle or Tomato soups. She's never heard of Andy Warhol who mimicked such cans, just as a butcher I talked to in our Michigan supermarket said that he had never eaten shrimp, or knew what people did with oxtails. His apron too had the same bright red stains, t yet faded into rust. Crimson blood on canvas, the art of childhood. Unhealed scars, still capable of bleeding.Contemplating her past -- the exploration of Diane through her Western beach girl persona, her Medea-life, to her final snaky Medusa self -- Wakoski honestly confronts her Greed for Purity , comes to terms with aging, living in the Midwest , and learns, partly through the aesthetics of food and drink, to live a kind of 'still-life.'
- Author(s)Diane Wakoski
- PublisherDavid R. Godine Publisher Inc
- Date of Publication27/12/2007
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Place of PublicationSanta Rosa, CA
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBlack Sparrow Press,U.S.
- Out-of-print date10/03/2015
- Content Noteport.
- Weight399 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine21 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.