All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Calculus Collection is a useful resource for everyone who teaches calculus, in secondary school or in a college or university. It consists of 123 articles selected by a panel of veteran secondary school teachers. The articles focus on engaging students who are meeting the core ideas of calculus for the first time and who are interested in a deeper understanding of single-variable calculus. The Calculus Collection is filled with insights, alternative explanations of difficult ideas, and suggestions for how to take a standard problem and open it up to the rich mathematical explorations available when you encourage students to dig a little deeper. Some of the articles reflect an enthusiasm for bringing calculators and computers into the classroom, while others consciously address themes from the calculus reform movement. But most of the articles are simply interesting and timeless explorations of the mathematics encountered in a first course in calculus.
- Author BiographyCaren L. Diefenderfer (AB Dartmouth College, MA, Ph.D. University of California at Santa Barbara) is Professor of Mathematics at Hollins University. Caren has been active with the AP Calculus Program for over 20 years and served as Chief Reader for AP Calculus from 2004-2007. She has been a leader with MAA efforts on Quantitative Reasoning and is currently the Chair of the MAA's Special Interest Group for the Teaching of Advanced High School Mathematics (SIGMAA TAHSM). Roger B. Nelsen (BA DePauw University, Ph.D. Duke University) is Professor Emeritus of Mathematics at Lewis and Clark College. Roger has been an AP Calculus Reader for many years and has authored or co-authored four books for the MAA: Proofs Without Words: Exercises in Visual Thinking (1993); Proofs Without Words II: More Exercises in Visual Thinking (2000); Math Made Visual: Creating Images for Understanding Mathematics (with Claudi Alsina, 2006); and When Less Is More: Visualizing Basic Inequalities (with Claudi Alsina, 2009).
- Author(s)Caren L. Diefenderfer,Roger B. Nelsen
- PublisherMathematical Association of America
- Date of Publication18/02/2010
- Series TitleClassroom Resource Materials
- Place of PublicationWashington
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMathematical Association of America
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight1100 g
- Width215 mm
- Height253 mm
- Spine32 mm
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.52Trending at AU $57.15
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.29
- AU $32.44Trending at AU $38.14
- AU $53.34Trending at AU $59.06
- AU $28.49Trending at AU $29.55
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.06
- AU $33.00Trending at AU $35.68
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.