All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.20Trending at AU $74.34
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.78
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $73.15
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.45
- AU $36.81Trending at AU $44.56
- AU $46.38Trending at AU $48.26
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.26
About this product
- DescriptionThe importance of the region that is recognised today as Saudi Arabia (with its neighbours) can hardly be underestimated, let alone overlooked by the rest of the world, t merely because of its geographical location and religious significance to a large segment of the world's population due to the location of Islam's two holiest shrines in Makkah and al-Madinah, and for ecomic and political reasons too, for it has the world's largest kwn reserves of energy. This book attempts to trace and explain the rise, fall - then rise and fall again - and rise of the Saudi polity in the Arabian Peninsula, and explores the role played throughout these evengts by Shaykh Muhammad bin Abdal-Wahhab and his 'Call' for religious and social reform. Not since the writings of Philby five decades ago has a book exploring the history of such a politically important and sensitive region, and in such a comprehensive and academic manner, appeared on the scene. Supported by maps and illustrations, and written by an insider who has resided in the Kingdom for over four decades, the book is a fascinating eye-opener and historical reference, bringing almost all the kwn original indigeus Arabic and other source material into full purview.
- Author BiographySultan Ghalib al-Qu'aiti was educated at Millfield School and Magdalen College Oxford, Magdalene College Cambridge and SOAS. He holds Honours Degrees in Oriental Studies and Arabian Studies. The last Sultan of Hadramaut (the Qu'aiti State) he has always pursued his love of history, literature and current events while writing, aiding post-graduate scholars and translating. His last major work 'The Holy Cities, the PIlgrimage and the World of Islam - a History from the Earliest Traditions till 1925' was published in 2006 and described as a 'unique, ground-breaking book'
- Author(s)Sultan Ghalib bin Awadh al Quaiti
- PublisherMedina Publishing Ltd
- Date of Publication12/03/2012
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationNewport
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintMedina Publishing Ltd
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight1030 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine48 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.