All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.10
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.77
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $88.03
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.00
- AU $20.47Trending at AU $21.08
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $53.75
- AU $30.45Trending at AU $51.44
About this product
- DescriptionThe term 'Jewish music' has conveyed complex and diverse meanings for people around the world across hundreds of years. This accessible and comprehensive Companion is a key resource for students, scholars, and everyone with an interest in the global history of Jewish music. Leading international experts introduce the broad range of genres found in Jewish music from the biblical era to the present day, including classical, religious, folk, popular, and dance music. Presenting a range of fresh perspectives on the subject, the chapters explore Jewish liturgy, Klezmer, music in Israel, the music of Yiddish theatre and cinema, and classical music from the Jewish Enlightenment through to the postmodern era. Additional contributions set Jewish music in context and offer an overview of the broader issues that arise in its study, such as questions of Diaspora, ontology, ecomics, and the history of sound techlogies.
- Author BiographyJoshua S. Walden is a member of the faculty of musicology at the Peabody Conservatory, Johns Hopkins University. He is the author of Sounding Authentic: The Rural Miniature and Musical Modernism (2014), and editor of Representation in Western Music (Cambridge, 2013). He has published articles on subjects including Jewish music, film music, eighteenth-century music, and intersections between music and the visual arts, in journals including the Journal of the American Musicological Society, the Journal of the Royal Musical Association, the Journal of the Society for American Music, and Musical Quarterly.
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication19/11/2015
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Series TitleCambridge Companions to Music
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note1 b/w illus. 20 music examples
- Weight610 g
- Width174 mm
- Height247 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Edited byJoshua S. Walden
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.