All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.89
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.37
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $75.12
- AU $31.51Trending at AU $37.08
- AU $25.48Trending at AU $28.39
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $14.06
About this product
- DescriptionIndia is changing at a rapid pace as it continues to move from its colonial past to its globalised future. This Companion offers a framework for understanding that change, and how modern cultural forms have emerged out of very different histories and traditions. The book provides accounts of literature, theatre, film, modern and popular art, music, television and food; it also explores in detail social divisions, customs, communications and daily life. In a series of engaging, erudite and occasionally moving essays the contributors, drawn from a variety of disciplines, examine t merely what constitutes modern Indian culture, but just how wide-ranging are the cultures that persist in the regions of India. This volume will help the reader understand the continuities and fissures within Indian culture and some of the conflicts arising from them. Throughout, what comes to the fore is the extraordinary richness and diversity of modern Indian culture.
- Author BiographyVasudha Dalmia is Professor of Hindi and Modern South Asian Studies at the University of California, Berkeley. Rashmi Sadana is Visiting Assistant Professor in the Department of Humanities and Social Sciences at the Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi.
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication05/04/2012
- SubjectCultural Studies
- Series TitleCambridge Companions to Culture
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note19 b/w illus. 2 maps
- Weight520 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Edited byRashmi Sadana,Vasudha Dalmia
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.