All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book is a definitive reference source for the growing, increasingly more important, and interdisciplinary field of computational cognitive modeling, that is, computational psychology. It combines breadth of coverage with definitive statements by leading scientists in this field. Research in computational cognitive modeling explores the essence of cognition and various cognitive functionalities through developing detailed, process-based understanding by specifying computational mechanisms, structures, and processes. Given the complexity of the human mind and its manifestation in behavioral flexibility, process-based computational models may be necessary to explicate and elucidate the intricate details of the mind. The key to understanding cognitive processes is often in fine details. Computational models provide algorithmic specificity: detailed, exactly specified, and carefully thought-out steps, arranged in precise yet flexible sequences. These models provide both conceptual clarity and precision at the same time. This book substantiates this approach through overviews and many examples.
- Author BiographyDr. Ron Sun is Professor of Cognitive Science at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. A well-known researcher in the field of cognitive science, Sun explores the fundamental structure of the human mind and aims for the synthesis of many interesting intellectual ideas into one coherent model of cognition. The goal is to form a generic cognitive architecture that captures a variety of cognitive processes in a unified way and thus to provide unified explanations for a wide range of cognitive data. To do so, for the past two decades, he has been advocating the use of hybrid connectionist-symbolic systems in developing cognitive models and he has been developing theories of human skill learning and human everyday reasoning as the centerpieces of the cognitive architecture.
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication28/04/2008
- SubjectPsychology: Professional & General
- Series TitleCambridge Handbooks in Psychology
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight1470 g
- Width177 mm
- Height253 mm
- Spine38 mm
- Edited byRon Sun
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $12.99Trending at AU $19.32
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.53
- AU $12.82Trending at AU $13.83
- AU $36.79Trending at AU $38.16
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.69
- AU $20.18Trending at AU $24.51
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $33.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.