All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionStylistics has become the most common name for a discipline which at various times has been termed 'literary linguistics', 'rhetoric', 'poetics', 'literary philology' and 'close textual reading'. This Handbook is the definitive account of the field, drawing on linguistics and related subject areas such as psychology, sociology, anthropology, educational pedagogy, computational methods, literary criticism and critical theory. Placing stylistics in its intellectual and international context, each chapter includes a detailed illustrative example and case study of stylistic practice, with arguments and methods open to examination, replication and constructive critical discussion. As an accessible guide to the theory and practice of stylistics, it will equip the reader with a clear understanding of the ethos and principles of the discipline, as well as with the capacity and confidence to engage in stylistic analysis.
- Author BiographyPeter Stockwell is Professor of Literary Linguistics at the University of Nottingham and a Fellow of the English Association. Sara Whiteley is Lecturer in Language and Literature at the University of Sheffield, where she teaches a range of dedicated stylistics modules.
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication08/05/2014
- Series TitleCambridge Handbooks in Language and Linguistics
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note53 b/w illus. 14 tables
- Weight1290 g
- Width174 mm
- Height247 mm
- Spine37 mm
- Edited byPeter Stockwell,Sara Whiteley
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.86
- AU $70.86Trending at AU $126.46
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $10.41
- AU $16.68Trending at AU $22.22
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.31
- AU $40.00Trending at AU $40.55
- AU $36.19Trending at AU $37.61
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.