All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDuring the early middle ages, Europe developed complex and varied Christian cultures, and from about 1100 secular rulers, competing factions and inspired individuals continued to engender a diverse and ever-changing mix within Christian society. This volume explores the wide range of institutions, practices and experiences associated with the life of European Christians in the later middle ages. The clergy of this period initiated new approaches to the role of priests, bishops and popes, and developed an ambitious project to instruct the laity. For lay people, the practices of parish religion were central, but many sought additional ways to enrich their lives as Christians. Impulses towards reform and renewal periodically swept across Europe, led by charismatic preachers and supported by secular rulers. This book provides accessible accounts of these complex historical processes and entices the reader towards further enquiry.
- Author BiographyMiri Rubin is Professor of Medieval History at Queen Mary, University of London. Her most recent publications include A Sort of God: A History of the Virgin Mary (2009), The Hollow Crown: A History of Britain in the Late Middle Ages (2005) and Love, Friendship and Faith in Europe 1300-1800 (2005) co-edited with Laura Gowing and Michael Hunter. Walter Simons is Associate Professor in the Department of History, Dartmouth College. He is author of Cities of Ladies: Beguine Communities in the Medieval Low Countries 1200-1565 and co-editor of Ludo J. R. Milis, Religion, Culture and Mentalities in the Medieval Low Countries: Selected Essays (2005) with Jeroen Deploige, Martine De Reu and Steven Vanderputten and The Productivity of Urban Space in Northern Europe with Peter Arnade and Martha Howell (2002).
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication31/07/2014
- SubjectChristian History & Denominations
- Series TitleCambridge History of Christianity
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight870 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine34 mm
- Edited byMiri Rubin,Walter Simons
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $72.93
- AU $23.60Trending at AU $29.65
- AU $32.93Trending at AU $36.60
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $47.93
- AU $30.83Trending at AU $32.07
- AU $23.80Trending at AU $32.73
- AU $16.92Trending at AU $22.07
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.