Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.57
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.97
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.24
- AU $46.35Trending at AU $48.13
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.05
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $28.33
- AU $31.65Trending at AU $34.30
About this product
- DescriptionArthur Philemon Coleman was a passionate Canadian and one of the first to truly discover the beauty and majesty of this country s mountain ranges as an explorer, geologist and mountaineer. In 1884, before the railway traversed the Rocky and Columbia mountains, Coleman headed west on the first of what would be eight mountaineering expeditions, making his way on foot and pack horse, with Native guides and without, over passes in Alberta and British Columbia. First published in 1911, this new edition gives modern-day readers a glimpse of the early days of mountaineering in the Canadian west. It paints a sympathetic picture of the rugged men and women who opened the region and of the hardships they endured. In his travels he encountered some of the main characters in Canadian mountaineering history, including Mary Schdffer, Joby Beaver, Frank Sibbald, Reverend George Kinney and Adolphus Moberly.
- Author BiographyArthur Philemon Coleman was born in Lachute, Quebec, on April 4, 1852. For most of his professional life he taught at Victoria College, part of the University of Toronto, and spent a great deal of time adventuring throughout western Canada. In all, Coleman and his Morley, Alberta-based brother, Lucius Quincy Coleman made eight successive trips to the Canadian Rockies. Coleman was in his 80s on his last trip. He died in 1939 never having climbed Mount Robson, the object of his mountaineering obsession. Chic Scott is a household name in international and Canadian mountaineering circles. One of Canada's most celebrated mountain literature authors and adventurers, he is the author of several award-winning mountaineering history books, including Pushing the Limits: The Story of Canadian Mountaineering (RMB 2000), Powder Pioneers: Ski Stories from the Canadian Rockies and Columbia Mountains (RMB 2005) and Deep Powder and Steep Rock: The Life of Mountain Guide Hans Gmoser (RMB 2015). As well, his bestselling guidebooks Summits and Icefields 1: Alpine Ski Tours in the Canadian Rockies (RMB 2011), Summits and Icefields 2: Alpine Ski Tours in the Columbia Mountains - Revised & Updated (RMB 2016) and Ski Trails in the Canadian Rockies - 5th Edition (RMB 2016) are fundamental resources in any backcountry skier's library. Chic lives in Banff, Alberta.
- Author(s)A.P. Coleman
- PublisherRocky Mountain Books,Canada
- Date of Publication25/07/2006
- SubjectWalking / Hiking & Activity Maps & Guides
- Place of PublicationCalgary
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintRocky Mountain Books,Canada
- Weight238 g
- Width139 mm
- Height215 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Foreword byChic Scott
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.