All listings for this product
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.88Trending at AU $23.68
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $73.52
- AU $32.89Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $37.66Trending at AU $38.33
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.32
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.67
- AU $20.38Trending at AU $26.66
About this product
- DescriptionDuring their two-and-a-half-year circumnavigation aboard the sloop Maverick, Tony Johnson and Terry Shrode survived a number of harrowing engagements with the forces of nature. In Tahiti, a midnight gale caused Maverick to fetch up on a dangerous coral reef. In Indonesia, faulty navigational charts, heavy winds and high seas led the crew to run the boat aground. And thirty miles from a safe landfall after a twenty-one day Atlantic crossing, water in the bilge triggered the discovery that the hull had begun to tear itself apart. Only a heroic effort by the skipper and first mate kept them from sinking within sight of land. Along with tales of adventure, the Captain's chronicle contains accounts of natural wonders including orangutans in the wild, observed on a dreamlike jungle excursion up the Kumai River in Borneo, and the nighttime Arabian Sea glowing ghostly white from horizon to horizon, the result of a rare bloom of phosphorescent plankton. Woven through the journal are revealing and sometimes surreal encounters with a host of fascinating characters including native guides, fellow cruisers, and would-be pirates. These cross-cultural experiences assume added poignancy in the period following the World Trade Center attack, when, despite the warnings of family and friends, Tony and Terry decide to carry on with their voyage through the heart of the Islamic world and fly the American flag. Sections on Odysseus, Drake, Columbus, Plato, Socrates, bullfighting in Spain, Mediterranean geology, and Junior Walker and the All-Stars ensure that the book will satisfy the reader's wanderlust for cultural and intellectual, as well as nautical, adventure.
- Author(s)Tony Johnson
- Date of Publication23/02/2013
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectWater Sports
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight494 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.