About this product
- DescriptionFollowing several years of extensive research, conservation, and photography, Saint Louis Art Museum's major 2016 exhibition highlights 50 carpets and two Persian pleasure tents assembled by one of the most important early twentieth-century American carpet collectors, James F. Ballard. The unique contents of the collection, outstanding quality of many of the rugs, and detailed technical content make this book a major contribution to the study of Islamic textiles and the field of Islamic art history as a whole. The compelling visual nature of the pieces will appeal to art historians, rug collectors, and the general public alike. The book includes an essay about James Ballard as a collector by Thomas J. Farnham. A second essay by Walter B. Denny introduces the general topic of rug varieties in the Ballard Collection, placing the collection in a larger art historical and historiographic context. The textiles featured in the exhibition are organized according to geographical origin and style, with brief introductions by Denny that provide more detailed art historical context for each group. All items have full catalogue entries, full color illustrations, and front and back details showing technical features. Ballard Collection rugs in the museum's inventory t exhibited are included with a color reproduction and technical data. Contents: Chrology; Ballard the Collector; The Ballard Collection in Context; A short Note on Carpet Technique; Catalogue; Appendix; Endtes; Bibliography.
- Author BiographyWalter B. Denny, guest co-curator for the exhibition The Carpet and the Connoisseur, is Senior Consultant in the Department of Islamic Art at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, Charles Grant Ellis Research Associate in Oriental Carpets at The Textile Museum, and Distinguished Professor of Art History at the University of Massachusetts at Amherst.
- Author(s)St Louis Art Museum,Thomas Jefferson Farnham,Walter B Denny
- PublisherHali Publications Ltd
- Date of Publication01/07/2016
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectAntiques & Collectables
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintHali Publications Ltd
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight1134 g
- Width241 mm
- Height279 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $60.69Trending at AU $73.28
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.54
- AU $20.46Trending at AU $26.08
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.78
- AU $33.32Trending at AU $36.33
- AU $36.16Trending at AU $49.55
- AU $18.16Trending at AU $21.18
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.