All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $94.99Trending at AU $106.80
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.51
- AU $104.90Trending at AU $118.13
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.21
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $107.74
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $106.06
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.61
About this product
- DescriptionSchool uniform polices, often associated with private schools, are increasingly being adopted in public schools; but t without controversy. The often asserted reasons for mandating uniforms include improved student behavior, better attendance, less competition over clothing, and improved student learning because students would t be distracted by who was wearing what and could focus on their studies. Wishful thinking or empirically tested hypotheses? However, opponents assert that a mandated uniform seeks to homogenize the students, violates their free speech rights, and does t solve the problems the policy is intended to remedy. The Challenges of Mandating School Uniforms in the Public Schools: Free Speech, Research, and Policy explores the policy rationale, the constitutional rights of students, and the research on the impact of school uniforms. Educators, parents, and policymakers will find this book and its companion, Student Dress Codes and the First Amendment: Legal Challenges and Policy Issues, a must read when considering student attire issues.
- Author BiographyTodd A. DeMitchell, John & H. Irene Peters Endowed Professor of Education spent eighteen years in the public schools serving as a teacher, principal, director of personnel & labor relations, and superintendent. He studies and teaches school law and labor relations at the University of New Hampshire. Richard Fossey is the Paul Burdin Endowed Professor of Education at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette. Previously, he was professor and Mike Moses Endowed Chair in Educational Leadership at the University of North Texas, Professor and Chair at the University of Houston, and professor and associate dean at Louisiana State University. Prior to joining the academy, he practiced law in Alaska for nine years primarily representing school districts.
- Author(s)Richard Fossey,Todd A. DeMitchell
- PublisherRowman & Littlefield
- Date of Publication30/06/2015
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationLanham
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRowman & Littlefield Education
- Weight431 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine18 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.