All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis concise, easy-to-read book outlines the basic principles needed to understand the chemical mechanisms of explosion. Covering detonation, deflagration, initiation, the latest theories on the production of hotspots , thermochemistry, thermodynamics and kinetics, the text includes detailed formulations and reactions presented with thermochemical calculations to aid understanding. The history, theory and chemical types of explosives are introduced, along with propellants, pyrotechnics and the most up-to-date information on energetic binders for explosive compositions. Covering all aspects of explosive chemistry from history to manufacturing techniques and formulation, The Chemistry of Explosives is a unique text which introduces difficult subjects in a readable manner. Ideal for A-level students and new graduates with previous kwledge of explosive materials, it will also be useful to anyone needing succinct information on the subject.
- Author BiographyProfessor Jacqueline Akhavan joined the academic staff at Cranfield University in 1987 after graduating from Southampton University with a PhD in polymer chemistry. In the early 1990s she was invited as a visiting research scientist to Akron University in Ohio to develop high energy rocket propellant for Norton Thiokol. In 2001 she was appointed Associate Dean of Undergraduate Studies and in 2007 she was awarded a personal chair in explosive chemistry. Professor Akhavan is Head of the Centre for Defence Chemistry and is also leading the Synthesis and Formulations Group. Her main research activity is in the development of PBXs for insensitive munitions which contain inert and energetic polymers. Professor Akhavan is a Fellow of The Royal Society of Chemistry and a Chartered Chemist.
- Author(s)Jacqueline Akhavan
- PublisherRoyal Society of Chemistry
- Date of Publication08/07/2011
- SubjectPopular Science
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintRoyal Society of Chemistry
- Content Note1, black & white illustrations
- Weight312 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine11 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
- Edition Statement3rd Revised edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $46.25Trending at AU $49.54
- AU $3.75Trending at AU $7.40
- AU $27.04Trending at AU $31.95
- AU $70.89Trending at AU $79.84
- AU $20.50Trending at AU $24.15
- AU $22.60Trending at AU $23.10
- AU $17.08Trending at AU $23.45
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.