All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionTextiles are ubiquitous materials that many of us take for granted in our everyday lives. We rely on our clothes to protect us from the environment, for modesty, to enhance our appearance and reflect our personality. Beyond these traditional applications, high-performance fibres have been specifically developed for more demanding roles in protective garments, industrial work-wear, car tyres, parachutes and artificial arteries. This is the only book to describe the chemistry of textile fibres at a level appropriate for 'A' level students and first-year undergraduates following courses in textile science and techlogy. Readers with a background in chemistry and an interest in the principles of functional fibre development will also find it to be of value. The book explains the characteristics required for polymers to be fibre-forming, the general physical properties needed from textile fibres, and the chemistry of important natural and synthetic fibres. The book also deals with the essential chemistry of high-performance fibres that possess functionalities beyond those of materials traditionally used for apparel. Later chapters describe methods of fibre enhancement and fibre blending.
- Author BiographyRoger H Wardman obtained his PhD from the University of Bradford whilst lecturing at the Scottish College of Textiles. In 2005 he became a Professorial Fellow at Heriot-Watt University where he later became Head of the School of Textiles & Design. He has also been President of the Association of Universities for Textiles (AUTEX) and a member of the Governing Council of the European Technology Platform for Textiles & Clothing. He was awarded a Gold Medal by the Society of Dyers & Colourists, for outstanding services to colour education and colour science, in 2006 and a Dyers' Company Research Medal in 2007. Robert R Mather obtained a BA in Natural Sciences (Chemistry) from the University of Cambridge and a PhD from the University of Birmingham before becoming a Research Chemist (finishing as Principal Research Chemist) at Ciba-Geigy. He then went on to lecture at the Scottish College of Textiles followed by Heriot-Watt University where he later became Director of the Biomedical Textiles Research Centre. He is a Chartered Chemist and Fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry. He is currently an Honorary Senior Lecturer at Heriot-Watt, a Director of Mather Technology Solutions, Co-director of Power Textiles Limited, and a member of the Scientific Advisory Committee of the International Biennial Polymer Fibres Conference.
- Author(s)Robert R Mather,Roger H Wardman
- PublisherRoyal Society of Chemistry
- Date of Publication01/10/2010
- SubjectEngineering & Technology: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintRoyal Society of Chemistry
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight709 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $12.99Trending at AU $19.24
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.23
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $33.52
- AU $28.11Trending at AU $30.42
- AU $36.81Trending at AU $38.00
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.46
- AU $14.43Trending at AU $21.85
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.