All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWithin months of the start of the First World War, Germany began to run out of the raw materials it needed to make explosives. As Germany faced imminent defeat, chemists such as Fritz Haber and Carl Bosch came to the rescue with Nobel Prize winning discoveries that overcame the shortages and enabled the country to continue in the war. Similarly, Britain could t have sustained its war effort for four years had it t been for chemists like Chaim Weizmann who was later to become the first president of the State of Israel. Michael Freemantle tells the stories of these and many other chemists and explains how their work underpinned and shaped what became kwn as The Chemists' War. He reveals: * how chemistry contributed to the care of the sick and wounded and to the health and safety of troops; * how coal t only powered the war but was also an important source of the chemicals needed for the manufacture of explosives, dyes, medicines and antiseptics; * how Britain's production of propellants relied on the slaughter of tens of thousands of whales; * how a precious metal played a critical role in the war; * how poisous chemicals were used as weapons of mass destruction for the first time in the history of warfare and how chemists developed gas masks for protection against these weapons; * how the British naval blockade of Germany imperilled agricultural production in the United States. The book will appeal to the general reader as well as the many scientists and historians interested in the Great War.
- Author BiographyMichael Freemantle is a science writer who has written numerous books and articles on chemistry, the history of science and related topics.
- Author(s)Michael Freemantle
- PublisherRoyal Society of Chemistry
- Date of Publication01/09/2014
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintRoyal Society of Chemistry
- Content Note87 black & white illustrations
- Weight590 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $30.87Trending at AU $31.45
- AU $74.23Trending at AU $76.09
- AU $35.53Trending at AU $38.80
- AU $31.84Trending at AU $37.29
- AU $10.39Trending at AU $15.38
- AU $37.61Trending at AU $38.56
- AU $26.33Trending at AU $51.27
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.