All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe years 1450-1650 were a momentous period for the development of Christianity. They witnessed the age of Reformation and Counter-Reformation: perhaps the most important era for the shaping of the faith since its foundation. C Scott Dixon explores how the ideas that went into the making of early modern Christianity re-oriented the Church to such an extent that they gave rise to new versions of the religion. He shows how the varieties and ambivalences of late medieval theology were w replaced by dogmatic certainties, where the institutions of Christian churches became more effective and 'modern', staffed by well-trained clergy. Tracing these changes from the fall of Constantiple to the end of the Thirty Years' War, and treating the High Renaissance and the Reformation as part of the same overall narrative, the author offers an integrated approach to widely different national, social and cultural histories. Moving beyond Protestant and Catholic conflicts, he contrasts Western Christianity with Eastern Orthodoxy, and examines the Church's response to fears of Ottoman domination.
- Author BiographyC Scott Dixon is Senior Lecturer in History at Queen s University, Belfast. His previous books include The Reformation and Rural Society; The Reformation in Germany (with R W Scribner); Protestants: A History from Wittenburg to Pennsylvania, 1517-1740; and Contesting the Reformation.
- Author(s)C. Scott Dixon
- PublisherI.B.Tauris & Co Ltd.
- Date of Publication30/03/2016
- SubjectChristianity: General
- Series TitleI.B Tauris History of the Christian Church
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note1 map
- Weight599 g
- Width159 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine25 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.28
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.54
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.78
- AU $33.32Trending at AU $36.33
- AU $36.16Trending at AU $48.86
- AU $18.16Trending at AU $21.21
- AU $25.01Trending at AU $27.39
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.