All listings for this product
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $72.53
- AU $89.64Trending at AU $103.78
- AU $66.82Trending at AU $74.72
- AU $20.99Trending at AU $22.68
- AU $15.63Trending at AU $22.29
- AU $15.79Trending at AU $18.37
- AU $8.65Trending at AU $14.26
About this product
- DescriptionBorn in Paris, Jacinto is the heir to a vast estate in Portugal which he has never visited. He mixes with the creme de la creme of Paris society, but is monumentally bored. And then he receives a letter from his estate manager saying that they plan to move the bones of his ancestors to the newly revated chapel-would he like to be there? With great trepidation, Jacinto sets off with his best friend, the narrator, on the mammoth train journey through France and Spain to Portugal. What they discover in the simple country life will upend their own lives deliciously...Newly translated by the acclaimed translator Margaret Jull Costa, New Directions is proud to publish The City and The Mountains, and to once again bring Eca de Queiros' brilliant prose to life.
- Author BiographyOne of the leading intellectuals of the Generation of 1870, Jose Maria de Eca de Queiros (1845-1900) wrote twenty books, founded literary reviews, and for most of his life also worked as a diplomat, in Havana, London, and Paris. Margaret Jull Costa is the award-winning translator of works by Eca de Quieros, Javier Marias, and Jose Saramago.
- Author(s)Jose Maria de Eca de Queiros
- PublisherNew Directions Publishing Corporation
- Date of Publication14/12/2012
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNew Directions Publishing Corporation
- Weight310 g
- Width132 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Translated byMargaret Jull Costa
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.