All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $73.59
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.11
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $71.05
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $103.87
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.29
- AU $57.95Trending at AU $58.89
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $113.02
About this product
- DescriptionRobinson Jeffers (1887-1962) is t only the greatest poet that California (and indeed the American West) has produced but a major poet of the twentieth century who occupies a prominent place in the tradition of American prophetic poetry.Jeffers consciously set himself apart from the poetry of his generation-by physical isolation at his home in Carmel, by his unusual poetic form, and by his stance as an anti-modernist. Yet his work represents a profound, and profoundly original, artistic response to problems that shaped modernist poetry and that still perplex poets today; how to reconcile scientific and artistic discourses and modes of vision; how to connect present-day experience to myths perceived as lying at the origins of human culture; how to renew the poetic language and how (or whether) to present art's claim to moral, spiritual, or epistemological seriousness within representations of modern phemena.For Jeffers, as for other important modern American poet, there has never been a collected poems, t even a truly representative selected poems-the current Selected Poetry, first published in 1938, contains work from the last three volumes published during Jeffers' lifetime or from his posthumous volume. Now, for the first time, all of Jeffers' completed poems, both published and unpublished, are presented in a single, comprehensive, and textually authoritative edition. The first three volumes of this four-volume work, will present chrologically all of Jeffers' published work from 1920 to 1963. The present volume consists of poems written from 1939 to Jeffers' death in 1963, including the dramatic poems The Bowl of Blood, Medea, and The Double Axe byt were eventually omitted for reasons that are unclear; and those poems from his last years, which appeared posthumously in The Beginning and the End, that seem to be completed drafts.
- Author BiographyTim Hunt is Academic Dean of Deep Springs College, California, and the author of Kerouac's Crooked Road: The Development of a Fiction
- Author(s)Robinson Jeffers
- PublisherStanford University Press
- Date of Publication01/03/1991
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Series TitleThe Collected Poetry of Robinson Jeffers
- Place of PublicationPalo Alto
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintStanford University Press
- Content Noteport.
- Weight1355 g
- Width198 mm
- Height261 mm
- Spine41 mm
- Edited byTim Hunt
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.