All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBringing together contributions from an international group of social scientists, this collection examines diverse crises, both historical and contemporary, which implicate market forces, widening inequalities, social exclusion, forms of resistance, and ideological polarisation. The Commonalities of Global Crises offers carefully researched case studies which stretch across large geographical distances- from Egypt to the US and from rthern, central, eastern and southern Europe to South America- and covers timely issues including human rights, slavery, care, migration, racism, and the far right. The volume demonstrates that such different settings and diverse concerns are characterized by a common tension in which the crises that unfold around pressures of widening marketization and commodification are met by the (re)building or re-assertion of various communities, and competing politics of solidarity and stalgia.
- Author BiographyChristian Karner is Associate Professor of Sociology at the University of Nottingham, UK. His research focuses on local, national and ethnic identity negotiations in the context of contemporary globalization. His books include Writing History, Constructing Religion (co-edited with James Crossley); Ethnicity and Everyday Life; Negotiating National Identities; and The Use and Abuse of Memory (co-edited with Bram Mertens). Bernhard Weicht is Assistant Professor of Sociology at the University of Innsbruck, Austria. His research examines the construction of care, ageing, dependency, and the intersection of migration and care policies and regimes. He is the author of The Meaning of Care and chair of the European Sociological Association Research Network 'Ageing in Europe'.
- PublisherPalgrave Macmillan
- Date of Publication14/06/2016
- SubjectEconomics: Professional & General
- Place of PublicationBasingstoke
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPalgrave Macmillan
- Content Note2 black & white tables, biography
- Weight626 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Edited byBernhard Weicht,Christian Karner
- Edition Statement1st ed. 2016
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $75.40
- AU $65.90Trending at AU $72.27
- AU $64.90Trending at AU $71.21
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $104.10
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.47
- AU $57.95Trending at AU $58.98
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $113.28
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.