All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $43.32
- AU $9.20Trending at AU $16.14
- AU $14.48Trending at AU $22.58
- AU $43.27Trending at AU $48.83
- AU $30.57Trending at AU $33.68
- AU $19.47Trending at AU $25.83
- AU $11.97Trending at AU $20.24
About this product
- DescriptionThis book is a contemporary sociological account of the lives of older people in two different communities in Ireland, one urban and one rural. The book is based on primary research that examined the social and community participation of older people in Rathmore and Rathbeg using both ethgraphic and survey approaches. The data presented provides insights into the nature of a community in a rapidly changing society and into older people's contributions to that community. It points to realms of activity that offer genuine meaning and value in older people's lives. A model of connectedness is developed in the study that identifies key characteristics and processes involved in sociability and solidarity within neighbourhoods and communities. A typology of ten relational patterns describes the different ways in which older adults may be connected within their communities. The author proposes an explanatory framework for understanding the complex and varied connections between people in communities. The book also demonstrates what older people in Ireland perceive as a good life.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Carmel Gallagher lectures in sociology and social policy at the Dublin Institute of Technology. She has developed and taught professional courses in social care for many years. She has a particular research interest in older people in Irish society and was awarded a Ph.D. by NUI Galway in 2005.
- Author(s)Carmel Gallagher
- PublisherVerlag Peter Lang
- Date of Publication22/08/2008
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationPieterlen
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintVerlag Peter Lang
- Weight560 g
- Width220 mm
- Height150 mm
- Edition Statement1st New edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.