All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.40
- AU $166.94Trending at AU $170.82
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $118.00
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $109.01
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $107.40
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $52.58
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.95
About this product
- DescriptionThe debut of Oklahoma! in 1943 ushered in the modern era of Broadway musicals and was followed by a number of successes that have become beloved classics. Shows produced on Broadway during this decade include Annie Get Your Gun, Brigadoon, Carousel, Finian's Rainbow, Pal Joey, On the Town, and South Pacific. Among the major performers of the decade were Alfred Drake, Gene Kelly, Mary Martin, and Ethel Merman, while other talents who contributed to shows include Irving Berlin, Gower Champion, Betty Comden, Adolph Green, Agnes de Mille, Lorenz Hart, Alan Jay Lerner, Frederick Loewe, Cole Porter, Jerome Robbins, Richard Rodgers, and Oscar Hammerstein II. In The Complete Book of 1940s Broadway Musicals, Dan Dietz examines every musical and revue that opened on Broadway during the 1940s. In addition to providing details on every hit and flop, this book includes revivals and one-man and one-woman shows. Each entry contains the following information: *Opening and closing dates *Plot summary *Cast members *Number of performances *Names of all important personnel, including writers, composers, directors, choreographers, producers, and musical directors *Musical numbers and the names of performers who introduced the songs *Production data, including information about tryouts *Source material *Critical commentary *Details about London and other foreign productions Besides separate entries for each production, the book offers numerous appendixes, such as a discography, film versions, published scripts, Gilbert and Sullivan operettas, and n-musical productions that utilized songs, dances, or background music. A treasure trove of information, The Complete Book of 1940s Broadway Musicals provides readers with a complete view of each show. This significant resource will be of use to scholars, historians, and casual fans of one of the greatest decades in musical theatre history.
- Author BiographyDan Dietz is a former professor of composition, world literature, and modern drama at Western Carolina University. He is the author of Off Broadway Musicals, 1910-2007 (2010), The Complete Book of 1960s Broadway Musicals (Rowman & Littlefield, 2014), and The Complete Book of 1950s Broadway Musicals (Rowman & Littlefield, 2014).
- Author(s)Dan Dietz
- PublisherRowman & Littlefield
- Date of Publication30/01/2015
- SubjectOther Performing Arts
- Place of PublicationLanham, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRowman & Littlefield Publishers
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight1929 g
- Width223 mm
- Height288 mm
- Spine41 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.