All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSmall scale farming has grown greatly in popularity during the last two decades, with a greater turn in public awareness toward locally grown, organic, grass fed products that have t been modified, chemically altered, or poorly fed. For that reason, those looking to start a small scale farm and raise livestock have a greater chance than ever before to take advantage of the new market for small scale goods. This book will show any potential small scale farmer how to start raising their livestock and marketing it to the organic, natural lifestyle community that so fervently seeks out these products. You will learn how to start the basic outline for your new small farm, including which livestock to raise, how to build their pens and habitat, and what you will be feeding them to maintain a healthy, organic farm. You will learn the basics of animal husbandry, from genetics and breeding to feeding, building locations, and proper health and reproduction care. You will learn how to find yourself in the right niche for selling your products and what legalities you must see to as well as the butchering and processing phase Hundreds of hours of in-depth interviews have been conducted for this book with top experts in farm management to provide you with details about farm planning, financial planning, and proper livestock planning. A complete appendix will detail the various breeds and needs of cattle, chickens, goats, horses, pigs, and sheep to help you select the right livestock for your farm. In addition, you will learn the basic composition of most feeds, different grasses and legumes you can use, and find a plethora of outside resources to utilise. For anyone with dreams of a small farm and raising livestock in their future, this is a book for you.
- Author BiographyTerri is living on five rural acres and slowly building it into a thriving organic farm. Although she grew up in the city, today she prefers a natural country life with her significant other and young daughter. By managing a freelance writing career from home, she can spend most of her time outdoors tending to both garden and livestock, which has given her a great deal of hands-on experience that she treasures. Not only has she gleaned her knowledge from experience, but also she has learned from the numerous helpful neighbors who seem to constantly have tips and suggestions to offer. Eventually, Terri hopes to be more self-sufficient and produce most of her own food. When not in the garden or barnyard, she studies genealogy and collects antique typewriters.
- Author(s)Terri Paajanen
- PublisherAtlantic Publishing Co
- Date of Publication11/11/2011
- SubjectAgriculture & Farming
- Place of PublicationOcala
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintAtlantic Publishing Co
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight356 g
- Width155 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.83
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $96.53
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.18
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.95
- AU $69.55Trending at AU $86.07
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.