All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe publication of this extraordinary volume firmly established Flannery O'Conr's monumental contribution to American fiction. There are thirty-one stories here in all, including twelve that do t appear in the only two story collections O'Conr put together in her short lifetime - Everything That Rises Must Converge and A Good Man Is Hard to Find. O'Conr published her first story, The Geranium, in 1946 while she was working on her master's degree at the University of Iowa. This Book, which is arranged chrologically, shows that her last story, Judgement Day, sent to her publisher shortly before her death, is a brilliantly rewritten and transfigured version of The Geranium. Taken together, these reveal an amazing lively, imaginative, and penetrating talent that has given us some of the most powerful and disturbing fiction written this century. Also included is an introduction and memoir by O'Conr's long-time editor, Robert Giroux.
- Author BiographyFlannery O'Connor was born in Savannah, Georgia, in 1925. When she died at the age of thirty-nine, America lost one of its most gifted writers at the height of her powers. O'Connor wrote two novels, Wise Blood (1952) and The Violent Bear It Away (1960), and two story collections, A Good Man Is Hard to Find (1955) and Everything That Rises Must Converge (1964). Her Complete Stories, published posthumously in 1972, won the National Book Award that year, and in a 2009 online poll it was voted as the best book to have won the award in the contest's 60-year history. Her essays were published in Mystery and Manners (1969) and her letters in The Habit of Being (1979). In 1988 the Library of America published her Collected Works; she was the first postwar writer to be so honored. O'Connor was educated at the Georgia State College for Women, studied writing at the Iowa Writers' Workshop, and wrote much of Wise Blood at the Yaddo artists' colony in upstate New York. She lived most of her adult life on her family's ancestral farm, Andalusia, outside Milledgeville, Georgia.
- Author(s)Flannery O'Connor
- PublisherFarrar, Straus & Giroux Inc
- Date of Publication17/06/2005
- SubjectShort Stories & Fiction Anthologies
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintFarrar, Straus & Giroux Inc
- Weight635 g
- Width133 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine43 mm
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $69.05Trending at AU $71.78
- AU $89.64Trending at AU $91.04
- AU $41.00Trending at AU $52.74
- AU $14.47Trending at AU $14.87
- AU $12.29Trending at AU $17.38
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.74
- AU $20.15Trending at AU $24.26
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.