All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn 1789, King Chongjo, ruler of the Yi dynasty, ordered General Yi Duk-moo to compile an official textbook on all martial art forms present in Korea. The result, the Muye Dobo Tongji, is the only surviving classical text on the Korean arts of war. Based on the earliest kwn Korean martial arts treatise, the Muye Chebo(1599), the Muye Dobo Tongji clearly shows the influence of neighboring Japanese and Chinese armies. Through hundreds of wars and invasions, Korean soldiers adapted battlefield skills and tactics from their enemies, creating a unique system. Organized into 24 disciplines comprised of empty hand fighting, weaponry and horsemanship, this is an accurate historical snapshot of the warrior arts of the late 18th century. This marks the first time this volume is available in English. Carefully translated from the original text and illustrated with reproductions of ancient woodblock carvings, this book provides fascinating insights into Korea's martial arts legacy.
- Author(s)Muye Dobo Tongji
- PublisherTurtle Press,U.S.
- Date of Publication01/03/2001
- SubjectBoxing & Combat Sports
- Place of PublicationWethersfield, CT
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTurtle Press,U.S.
- Content Note1, black & white illustrations
- Weight604 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Translated bySang H. Kim
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $12.99Trending at AU $19.24
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.23
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $33.52
- AU $12.82Trending at AU $13.77
- AU $36.81Trending at AU $38.00
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.46
- AU $20.18Trending at AU $24.41
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.