Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.93
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $73.27
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.59
- AU $41.64Trending at AU $45.10
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $91.47
- AU $46.38Trending at AU $48.34
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.40
About this product
- DescriptionFirst published in 1987, The Confederate Image examines the popular lithographs and engravings cherished by Southerners during and after the Civil War. These images helped sustain and revive Southern identity following the collapse of the Confederacy. (Though, ironically, most were actually crafted by Northern artisans.) The book focuses on prints of the three most prominent Southern figures of the conflict--Robert E. Lee, Jefferson Davis, and Stonewall Jackson--but also discusses prints of other important Confederates as well as the contributions of the short-lived Southern Illustrated News . A well-researched and interesting sidelight into a world of illusion. -- New York Times Book Review More than just a picture book...[It] tells a fascinating story of the creation of these images and how they added to or, at times, ran counter to the creation of the myth that is kwn as the Lost Cause. -- Chicago Tribune |A first-time paperback edition of this 1987 classic, The Confederate Image presents and examines the popular lithographs and engravings cherished by Southerners during and after the Civil War. This book is beautifully illustrated with images that reveal how the war has been remembered through history.
- Author BiographyMark E. Neely Jr. is the McCabe Greer Professor in the American Civil War Era at Pennsylvania State University. He is the author of the Pulitzer Prize-winning The Fate of Liberty: Abraham Lincoln and Civil Liberties as well as The Union Divided: Party Conflict in the Civil War North, Southern Rights: Political Prisoners and the Myth of Confederate Constitutionalism, and The Insanity File: The Case of Mary Todd Lincoln, coauthored with R. Gerald McMurtry and published by Southern Illinois University Press. Neely is also the coauthor with Harold Holzer of five books about the iconography of Lincoln and the Civil War. Harold Holzer is the senior vice president for external affairs at The Metropolitan Museum of Art. Among the country's leading authorities on Abraham Lincoln, he is a cochair of the U.S. Abraham Lincoln Bicentennial Commission. He is the author, coauthor, or editor of twenty-five books, including Dear Mr. Lincoln: Letters to the President and The Lincoln Mailbag: America Writers to the President, both published by Southern Illinois University Press, and Lincoln at Cooper Union, which won a 2005 Lincoln Prize. His web site is haroldholzer.com.
- Author(s)Gabor S. Boritt,Harold Holzer,Mark E. Neely
- PublisherThe University of North Carolina Press
- Date of Publication30/09/2000
- SubjectRegional History
- Series TitleCivil War America
- Place of PublicationChapel Hill
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintThe University of North Carolina Press
- Content Note20 colour illustrations, 121 b&w illustrations, index, bibliography, notes
- Weight934 g
- Width156 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Edition Statement1st New edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.