All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhat is Antony and Cleopatra about? Who is Cleopatra? How does Cleopatra beguile Antony? Why does Cleopatra call Antony Herculean ? What does Antony mean to Caesar? Why does Caesar sacrifice his sister? What does Caesar feel for his sister? Why does Caesar get so angry with his sister? How is Cleopatra's theatre different from Caesar's? Why does Shakespeare make so much of Ebarbus? How do you earn a place in the story ? What's special about the play's language? What happens to Antony after Actium? Is Cleopatra's death too beautiful? Does it still make sense to think of the play as a tragedy? If we had to burn all Shakespeare's plays bar one - luckily we don't - I'd save Antony and Cleopatra, said W. H. Auden. No other play has a heroine like Cleopatra, the legendary Queen of the East who, feared and adored in equal measure, casts a spell over Antony and turns him into her sex-slave. In this new study the eminent Shakespearean scholar Adrian Poole explains why this play is both so special and so different from the four commonly regarded as Shakespeare's greatest tragedies: Hamlet, King Lear, Othello and Macbeth. Poole shows that while Shakespeare is dramatising the most famous love affair in the ancient world, the playwright's handling of sex and politics is strikingly modern.
- Author BiographyAdrian Poole is Professor of English Literature and a Fellow of Trinity College Cambridge, where he has taught since 1975. His work addresses a constellation of four fields: tragedy, literary translation, Shakespeare, and nineteenth-century English literature. His publications include 'Tragedy: Shakespeare and the Greek Example' (1987) and 'Tragedy: A Very Short Introduction' (2005), and he is a general editor of the series 'Great Shakespeareans' (Continuum).
- Author(s)Adrian Poole
- PublisherConnell Guides
- Date of Publication30/09/2012
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintConnell Guides
- Content Noteillustrations
- Width110 mm
- Height172 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Edited byJolyon Connell
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $33.15Trending at AU $35.14
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.86
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.58
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $100.05
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $14.01
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $96.28
- AU $39.56Trending at AU $42.72
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.