All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn 1994, two political events occurred that would have been inconceivable just five years before: the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) was launched, and Republicans took control of the U.S. Congress for the first time in 40 years. NAFTA aimed to bind the three North American ecomies after more than a century in which Mexico and Canada had struggled to keep their distance from the United States. Ironically, at the very moment that Canada and Mexico risked a closer embrace, a new inward-looking U.S. Congress took office, less sensitive to neighbors or international obligations. Concerned Mexicans and Canadians asked: Was it possible to advance NAFTA's goals if the U.S. Congress stepped on the brakes? This book looks at the NAFTA integration process by focusing on the U.S. Congress. More independent and influential than the Canadian Parliament or Mexican legislature, the U.S. Congress seeks to shape the river banks within which North American integration runs its course, but often it just dams the river. The book presents the work of scholars from Mexico, Canada, and the United States who propose changes in congressional policymaking in order to facilitate a smoother and deeper process of integration within North America. The chapter authors are I. M. Destler, Neil Nevitte, Kim Richard Nossal, Miguel Basanez, Norman J. Ornstein, and George W. Grayson.
- Author BiographyRobert A. Pastor , Vice President of International Affairs at American University, Washington, D.C., USA, is the author of many books on U.S. foreign policy and Latin America. Rafael Fernandez de Castro is academic dean of the Department of International Studies at the Instituto Tecnologico Autonomo de Mexico and Director of the Program for the Analysis of U.S.-Mexican Relations.
- PublisherBrookings Institution
- Date of Publication01/10/1998
- SubjectGovernment & Constitution
- Place of PublicationWashington DC
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBrookings Institution
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight17 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Edited byRafael Fernandez de Castro,Robert A. Pastor
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.29
- AU $32.44Trending at AU $38.14
- AU $53.34Trending at AU $59.06
- AU $28.48Trending at AU $29.55
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.06
- AU $33.00Trending at AU $35.68
- AU $30.12Trending at AU $32.49
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.