All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPower through service, says Head Chef. It's one of the first lessons taught at Cook School, where troubled youths learn to be master chefs by bowing to decadence and whim, by offering up a part of themselves on every plate. It's a motto Zac takes to heart. A teenage boy with a difficult past, he throws himself into the world and work of haute cuisine. He has dreams of a future, of escaping the dead-end, -hope lot of his fellow cooks. He wants to be the greatest chef the world has seen. He thinks he's taken his first steps when he becomes House Cook for a wealthy family. Never mind that the family may seem less than appreciative. Or refined. Or deserving. Power through service. But as the facade crumbles and his promised future looks unlikely to eventuate, Zac the Cook is forced to reassess everything. Sweet turns sour and ends in bitter revenge. Blackly funny and deliciously satirical, The Cook feeds our hunger to kw what goes on in the kitchen, while skewering our culture of food worship.
- Author BiographyWayne Macauley is the author of the novels Blueprints for a Barbed-Wire Canoe and Caravan Story, and a short-fiction collection, Other Stories.
- PrizesWinner of Most Underrated Book Award 2012. Runner-up for Melbourne Prize for Literature, Best Writing Award 2012. Shortlisted for Victorian Premier's Literary Award 2012 and Western Australian Premier's Book Awards: Non-fiction 2011.
- Author(s)Wayne Macauley
- PublisherText Publishing Co
- Date of Publication03/10/2011
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationMelbourne
- Country of PublicationAustralia
- ImprintThe Text Publishing Company
- Weight295 g
- Width154 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $16.82Trending at AU $17.35
- AU $66.82Trending at AU $74.89
- AU $92.35Trending at AU $104.01
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $70.87
- AU $13.21Trending at AU $15.50
- AU $23.99Trending at AU $25.75
- AU $10.20Trending at AU $13.49
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.