Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $20.94Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by wordery
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $13.46Free postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by worldofbooks-australia
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFollowing All the Pretty Little Horses in Cormac McCarthy's Border Trilogy is a vel whose force of language is matched only by its breadth of experience and depth of thought. In the bootheel of New Mexico hard on the frontier, Billy and Boyd Parham are just boys in the years before the Second World War, but on the cusp of unimaginable events. First comes a trespassing Indian and the dream of wolves running wild amongst the cattle lately brought onto the plain by settlers - this when all the wisdom of trappers has disappeared along with the trappers themselves. And so Billy sets forth at the age of sixteen on an unwitting journey into the souls of boys and animals and men. Having trapped a she-wolf he would restore to the mountains of Mexico, he is long gone and returns to find everything he left behind transformed utterly in his absence. Except his kid brother, Boyd, with whom he strikes out yet again to reclaim what is theirs - thus crossing into that antique gaze from whence there could be way back forever. What they find instead, singly and together, is in extraordinary paply of fiestas and circuses, dogs and horses and hawks, pilgrims and revolutionaries, grand haciendas and forlorn cantinas, bandits and gypsies and roving tribes, a young girl alone on the road, a mystery in the mountain wilds, and a myth in the making. And in this wider world they fight a war as rageful as the one neither, in the end, will join up for back home. One brother finds his destiny, while the other arrives only at his fate. An essential vel by any measure, and the transfixing middle passage of Cormac McCarthy's ongoing trilogy, The Crossing is lumius and appalling, a book that touches, stops,and starts the heart and mind at once.
- Author BiographyCormac McCarthy was born in Rhode Island in1933 and spent most of his childhood near Knoxville, Tennessee. He served in the U.S. Air Force and later studied at the University of Tennessee. In 1976 he moved to El Paso, Texas, where he lives today.McCarthy's fiction parallels his movement from the Southeast to the West--the first four novels being set in Tennessee, the last three in the Southwest and Mexico. <b>The Orchard Keeper</b> (1965) won the Faulkner Award for a first novel; it was followed by <b>Outer Dark</b> (1968), <b>Child of God</b> (1973), <b>Suttree</b> (1979), <b>Blood Meridian</b> (1985), and <b>All the Pretty Horses</b>, which won both the National Book Critics Circle Award and the National Book Award for fiction in 1992. <b>The Crossing</b> is his seventh novel and the second in McCarthy's Border Trilogy.
- Author(s)Cormac McCarthy
- PublisherRandom House USA Inc
- Date of Publication01/03/1995
- SubjectCrime, Thriller & Adventure
- Series TitleThe border trilogy
- Series Part/Volume NumberVol 2
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintVintage Books
- Weight363 g
- Width140 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine25 mm
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $96.76Trending at AU $98.23
- AU $11.67Trending at AU $16.69
- AU $17.23Trending at AU $21.15
- AU $23.98Trending at AU $27.20
- AU $11.39Trending at AU $14.23
- AU $18.80Trending at AU $25.91
- AU $10.57Trending at AU $14.26
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.