All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Culture and Philosophy of Ridley Scott, edited by Adam Barkman, Ashley Barkman, and Nancy Kang, brings together eighteen critical essays that illuminate a nearly comprehensive selection of the director's feature films from cutting-edge multidisciplinary and comparative perspectives. Each chapter's approach correlates with philosophical, literary, or cultural studies perspectives. Using both combined and single-film discussions, the contributors examine a wide variety of topics including gender roles and feminist theory, philosophical abstractions like ethics, hor, and personal responsibility, and historical memory and the challenges of accurately rendering historical events on screen. Chapters examine such signature works as Alien (1979), Blade Runner (1982), Thelma and Louise (1991), Gladiator (2000), Hannibal (2001), Black Hawk Down (2001), and American Gangster (2007).
- Author BiographyAdam Barkman is Associate Professor of Philosophy at Redeemer University College. He is the author of C. S. Lewis and Philosophy as a Way of Life (Zossima Press, 2009), Through Common Things: Philosophical Reflections on Global Popular Culture (Winged Lion, 2010), and Above All Things: Essays on Christian Ethics and Popular Culture (Winged Lion, 2011), and is the co-editor of Manga and Philosophy (Open Court, 2010) and The Philosophy of Ang Lee (University Press of Kentucky, 2013). Ashley Barkman is a part-time lecturer of philosophy and English at Redeemer University College and is the author of several articles on philosophy and pop culture including chapters in 30 Rock and Philosophy (Wiley, 2010), The Walking Dead and Philosophy (Open Court, 2012), and The Big Bang Theory and Philosophy (Wiley, 2012) Nancy Kang is Assistant Professor of Multicultural and Diaspora Literatures at the University of Baltimore. She also served as Postdoctoral Faculty Fellow in the Humanities at Syracuse University (2007-2011), affiliated with the Native Studies Program, the Asian & Asian American Studies Interdisciplinary Minor, and the Department of English. Her publications include current or forthcoming articles in Canadian Literature, Women's Studies, The African American Review, Callaloo, Essays on Canadian Writing, and various chapters in edited collections.
- Author(s)Adam Barkman,Ashley Barkman,Nancy Kang
- PublisherLexington Books
- Date of Publication24/02/2015
- Place of PublicationLanham, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintLexington Books
- Weight413 g
- Width152 mm
- Height225 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.86
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.84
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $75.02
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $37.03
- AU $44.96Trending at AU $47.20
- AU $24.91Trending at AU $28.29
- AU $9.81Trending at AU $13.34
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.