All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.79Trending at AU $65.19
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $71.53
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.61
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $116.86
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $107.96
- AU $110.99Trending at AU $112.12
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.36
About this product
- DescriptionWritten from aesthetic, sociopolitical, cultural, and literary perspectives, The Cultured Canvas explores myriad ways in which American visual culture can be evaluated through newly conceived thematic and ideological approaches. This book moves beyond our accepted tion of the oil painting on canvas to consider the term as both a literal and figurative surface upon which artists construct or construe the landscape as an intellectual, cultural, or physical entity. It provides an invative reevaluation of traditional thought concerning the Hudson River School, Luminism, and artists of the Civil War era. As interdisciplinary emphases are employed with increasing frequency in arts and humanities courses, the breadth and depth of topics covered in this collection will provide a much-needed text for scholars in American art history, nineteenth-century American studies, and landscape studies, in addition to serving as a complement to courses in American literature and culture.
- Author BiographyNANCY SIEGEL is an associate professor of art history at Towson University and serves as a curatorial advisor to the Thomas Cole National Historic Site.
- PublisherUniversity Press of New England
- Date of Publication10/01/2012
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Place of PublicationHanover
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity Press of New England
- Content Note121 illus. (32 colour).
- Weight579 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Edited byNancy Siegel,University Press of New England
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.