All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn 1712, English naturalist Mark Catesby (1683-1749) crossed the Atlantic to Virginia. After a seven-year stay, he returned to England with paintings of plants and animals he had studied. They sufficiently impressed other naturalists that in 1722 several Fellows of the Royal Society sponsored his return to North America. There Catesby catalogued the flora and fauna of the Carolinas and the Bahamas by gathering seeds and specimens, compiling tes, and making watercolour sketches. Going home to England after five years, he began the twenty-year task of writing, etching, and publishing his monumental The Natural History of Carolina, Florida, and the Bahama Islands. Mark Catesby was a man of exceptional courage and determination combined with insatiable curiosity and multiple talents. Nevertheless portrait of him is kwn. The international contributors to this volume review Catesby's biography alongside the historical and scientific significance of his work. Ultimately, this lavishly illustrated volume advances kwledge of Catesby's explorations, collections, artwork, and publications in order to reassess his importance within the pantheon of early naturalists.
- Author BiographyE. Charles Nelson is a botanist who served for two decades as a Horticultural Taxonomist at the National Botanic Gardens in Glasnevin, Dublin, Ireland. He served as Honorary Editor of Archives of Natural History (1999-2012) and has written or edited, singly or collaboratively, nearly forty books. His most recent title is Shadow among Splendours: Lady Charlotte Wheeler-Cuffe's Adventures among the Flowers of Burma, 1897-1921. David J. Elliott is founder, chairman, and now Honorary Trustee of the Kiawah Island Natural Habitat Conservancy. He has been executive director of the Catesby Commemorative Trust since 2002.
- PublisherUniversity of Georgia Press
- Date of Publication30/12/2014
- LanguageEnglish & English
- SubjectLife Sciences: General
- Series TitleA Wormsloe Foundation Nature Book
- Place of PublicationGeorgia
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Georgia Press
- Content Note238 colour paintings, illustrations, photographs and maps
- Weight1851 g
- Width203 mm
- Height279 mm
- Spine31 mm
- Edited byDavid J. Elliott,E. Charles Nelson
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $12.99Trending at AU $19.32
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.53
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.37
- AU $36.79Trending at AU $38.16
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.69
- AU $20.18Trending at AU $24.51
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $33.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.