All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn an artistic career spanning five decades, and for which he was best kwn as poet, artist, dramatist, designer and film-maker, Jean Cocteau was also involved directly, and indirectly, with nearly twenty ballets. While he was t, in the strictest sense a choreographer, his influence on such works as Parade, Le Jeune Homme et la Mort, Orphee, and La Dame a la Licorne was all-pervasive - from the poesie of the dramatic action to lighting, costume and set design. His creations, in collaboration with composers, and choreographers, were fully integrated theatre pieces. Frank Ries researched all of Cocteau's ballets and, using interviews, Cocteau's own writings, reviews and critiques - some of which have never previously been translated - presents this survey and analysis of Cocteau's involvement in the world of dance. He recreates, from a new perspective, a portrait of a poet charged by Serge Diaghilev in pre-World War I Paris to Astonish me! and who made that command the inspiration of his career in dance.
- Author BiographyFrank W.D. Ries III, Ph.D. (1950-2010) was a noted dance historian and an iconic professor/performer at the University of California, Santa Barbara. Dr. Ries recreated the 1924 ballet, Le Train Bleu, choreographed by Bronislava Nijinska with libretto by Jean Cocteau, and in 1996 the reconstructed ballet premiered in both the U.S. and in Europe. He received his master's degree at Cambridge University, and his doctorate at the University of Indiana, Bloomington. His dance and theatre training covered both continents, beginning at an early age in St. Louis, Missouri. His lectures at UCSB are digitalized, along with his musical marathon performance with over 80 costume changes. He is in the Guinness Book of Records for having taught 35,000 students dance appreciation.
- Author(s)Frank W. D. Ries
- PublisherDance Books Ltd
- Date of Publication20/11/2014
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Place of PublicationHampshire
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintDance Books Ltd
- Content Note28 black & white photos
- Weight507 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine16 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $35.30Trending at AU $38.10
- AU $14.11Trending at AU $24.13
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.18
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.98
- AU $15.52Trending at AU $23.38
- AU $30.82Trending at AU $34.99
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.48
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.