All listings for this product
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $16.82Trending at AU $17.35
- AU $66.82Trending at AU $74.89
- AU $92.35Trending at AU $104.01
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $70.87
- AU $13.21Trending at AU $15.50
- AU $23.99Trending at AU $25.75
- AU $10.20Trending at AU $13.49
About this product
- DescriptionWilliam D. Kaufman grew up on his mother's kugel and his father's boyhood stories. The son of Jewish immigrants from Lithuania and the Ukraine and one of five children, he learned how to translate his colorful childhood into tales of his own, regaling audiences of family, friends, and eventually his retirement community with periodic public readings. Now, at the age of 93, Kaufman makes his stories, filled with a sharp wit and telling detail, available to a wider audience for the first time.In the title story a young Jewish boy is shamed by a narrow-minded teacher who forces him to admit, before the whole class, that his mother cant read English. His mother's eventual encounter with the teacher offers a lesson in self-respect, with just the right balance of grace and moxie. In The Search for God in the A and P a young boy goes on a clandestine mission to compare prices at his father's grocery competition; the expedition meets with comic results when the young boy refuses to be bullied in this David-and-Goliath-style parable. These semi-autobiographical stories, populated with outsized and magnetic characters, subtly layer the specifics of the Jewish experience with universal dilemmas of childhood, growing up, and old age.
- Author BiographyWilliam D. Kaufman is retired from the Jewish Theological Seminary, where he worked as a professional fundraiser for more than thirty years. His short stories have been published in the Forward, Moment, World War II Chronicles, and Columbia Magazine.
- Author(s)William Kaufman
- PublisherSyracuse University Press
- Date of Publication15/10/2008
- SubjectShort Stories & Fiction Anthologies
- Series TitleLibrary of Modern Jewish Literature
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSyracuse University Press
- Content Noteglossary
- Weight463 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Foreword byMax Apple,Carol Montparker
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.