All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThat James Joyce's The Dead forms an extraordinary conclusion to his collection Dubliners , there can be doubt. But as many have pointed out, The Dead may equally well be read as a vella--arguably, one of the finest vellas ever written. The Dead, a story of public life, as Joyce categorised it, was written more than a year after Joyce had finished the other stories in the collection, and was meant to redress what he felt was their unnecessary harsh[ness]. Set on the feast of the epiphany, it is a haunting tale of connection and of alienation, reflecting, in the words of Stanislaus Joyce (James's brother and confidant), the stalgic love of a rejected exile. The present volume highlights The Dead for readers who wish to focus on that great work in a concise volume--and for university courses in which it is t possible to cover all of Dubliners . But it also gives a strong sense of how that story is part of a larger whole. One story from each of the other sections of Dubliners has been included, and a wide range of background materials is included as well, providing a vivid sense of the literary and historical context out of which the work emerged.
- Author BiographyJames Joyce (1882-1941), author of Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man and of Ulysses as well as of Dubliners , was one of the towering figures of twentieth-century literature. Melissa Free , an Assistant Professor of English at Binghamton University, USA has published widely on late nineteenth- and early twentieth-century English, Irish, and colonial literature.
- Author(s)James Joyce
- PublisherBroadview Press Ltd
- Date of Publication30/07/2014
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Series TitleBroadview Anthology of British Literature Editions
- Place of PublicationPeterborough
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintBroadview Press Ltd
- Weight241 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine8 mm
- Edited byMelissa Free
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $69.05Trending at AU $73.19
- AU $89.64Trending at AU $94.27
- AU $14.45Trending at AU $15.45
- AU $21.31Trending at AU $24.17
- AU $11.48Trending at AU $14.32
- AU $11.88Trending at AU $15.37
- AU $23.64Trending at AU $26.68
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.