Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $39.99Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by qbdbooks
- Est. delivery by 19 Oct
- AU $11.50Free postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by worldofbooks-australia
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $69.05Trending at AU $71.78
- AU $89.64Trending at AU $91.04
- AU $41.00Trending at AU $52.74
- AU $14.47Trending at AU $14.87
- AU $12.29Trending at AU $17.38
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.74
- AU $20.15Trending at AU $24.26
About this product
- DescriptionTwo in one: a consummately plotted crime vel and a forensic social satire from one of Britain's most highly regarded broadcasters. Four families, the Crossans, the Dunsters, the Lonsdales and the Rutherfords live in a beautiful stretch of English countryside in magnificent listed houses, built for the old aristocracy. They are the new aristocracy: financiers, business tycoons, lawyers, doctors, magistrates. They leave their rural idyll only to commute first-class to London for meetings, deals and theatre outings or Heathrow flights to winter sun or half-term skiing. They and their children are protected by investments, pensions and expensive security systems. But the money is running out in Britain and new divisions and connections develop between the group of friends, until, finally, deep in the English winter, an unthinkable act of violence destroys these dream lives and demonstrates that the biggest threat may come from unexpected places. Mark Lawson's new vel is a wonderfully entertaining dark comedy of manners. This vel cleverly combines two areas of Mark's interests and insights. Firstly Mark's love of crime fiction is shown in a brilliantly conceived and (literally) executed crime story. A series of murders are committed on the first pages. It is only right at the end of the vel that you realise who the victims are and who committed the crime. And secondly, Mark just kws how the aspiring and often appalling upper middle classes live: this is social satire told with devastating and often hilarious detail.
- Author BiographyMark Lawson is a novelist and cultural critic. He has published four novels including Idlewild, Going Out Live and Enough Is Enough. He is the presenter of the BBC Radio 4 arts programme Front Row and BBC Four's Mark Lawson talks to... series. He also writes for the Guardian.
- Author(s)Mark Lawson
- PublisherPan Macmillan
- Date of Publication12/09/2013
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Out-of-print date04/02/2015
- Weight750 g
- Width156 mm
- Height241 mm
- Spine39 mm
- Interest Age16
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.