All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $35.30Trending at AU $38.10
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.98
- AU $15.52Trending at AU $23.38
- AU $30.82Trending at AU $34.99
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.48
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.92
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $32.14
About this product
- DescriptionThis book tells the story of the pioneer family of Robert Ryves, that left 16th century France because of religious persecution and established a family seat in Dorset, England. Years later, descendants of Robert Ryves traveled to the American colony of Virginia to escape the political and religious climate in 17th century England. In the 18th century, some members traveled south from Virginia, looking for opportunities opening in North Carolina and some members of the Rives/Reaves family fought in the American Revolution. Robert Ryves' seventh great grandson Edmond Reaves and much of his family continued their southern migration by moving into Georgia in the early 19th century and settling in Alabama by the middle of that century. Much of the family remained in Alabama as pioneers in the rtheastern Alabama Territory and then the new state of Alabama. The Reaves/Reeves family was part of the founding of many towns, communities and churches throughout the new state. Toward the end of the 19th century, many Reaves/Reeves men continued the tradition of service to their community by fighting in the Civil War in Alabama Regiments. While some family members continued to the western frontier in the 19th century, many of Robert Ryves' descendants settled in modern day Etowah and Calhoun Counties in Alabama, making the area the seat of the modern Reaves/Reeves family. The area of Hokes Bluff, Alabama was where Edmond's son, Nathan Reaves, Nathan's son, John S. Reeves, and grandson, William Clemens Reeves, lived in the 19th and 20th centuries and where, in the 21st century, many of William Clemens Reeves' descendants still remain. Volume I - Register Report of Robert Ryves is a companion volume that provides the factual references for this book. This volume focuses on the direct line ancestors of William Clemens Reeves and his descendants. Modern surnames that can trace back to Robert Ryves of England include Rives, Reaves, Reeves, Farrar, Moncrief, Henley, Couch, Young, McCullars, McCollum, Lumpkin, McMahan, Barnes, Johnson, Gentry, Cardwell, Huff, Shields, Bryan, Collier, Marbut, McGinnis, Daves and Kangelos, just to name a few. This book is a must read for descendants of William Clemens Reeves and a valuable reference for anyone interested in Robert Ryves' American ancestry.
- Author BiographyReeves Alan Daves is the 14th great grandson of Robert Ryves and the great great grandson of William Clemens Reeves. He is an amateur genealogist and a novice writer. This is his second book, combining his genealogy hobby and writing. Alan lives in Virginia with his family. He is a member of the Virginia Historical Society.
- Author(s)Reeves Alan Daves
- Date of Publication15/11/2011
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Notecolour illustrations
- Weight386 g
- Width216 mm
- Height279 mm
- Spine11 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.