All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $75.40
- AU $65.90Trending at AU $72.27
- AU $64.90Trending at AU $71.26
- AU $93.88Trending at AU $107.07
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $104.10
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.46
- AU $55.80Trending at AU $56.95
About this product
- DescriptionThe present study springs from a genuine admiration for John Ashbery's achievement. It aims at exposing those facets of Ashbery's poetry which have been neglected by critical opinion, but which, paradoxically, were instrumental in winning the poet a leading position among the most invative and daring American poets of today. This study reviews John Ashbery's long-term professional engagement as a visual-art critic and researches conceptual developments and orientations in the visual arts, which have influenced the poet's activity as a creative writer. Tracing analogies between the poetry of John Ashbery and the work of some of the enfants terribles of twentieth-century art - Marcel Duchamp and the Pop Artists, among others - opens new avenues of interpretation for an oeuvre which has often been considered difficult and solipsistic.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Silvia Maria de Magalhaes Carvalho was born in Angola in 1967. She grew up in the USA and in Portugal and studied English and Portuguese literature in Lisbon and Saarbruecken, Germany. She currently teaches English language and literature at different German universities and is doing research in the areas of media assisted language learning and poetry.
- Author(s)Silvia Maria De Magalhaes Carvalho
- PublisherPeter Lang GmbH
- Date of Publication01/02/2000
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleEuropaische Hochschulschriften Reihe 14: Angelsachsische Sprache und Literatur
- Series Part/Volume Numberv. 367
- Place of PublicationFrankfurt am Main
- Country of PublicationGermany
- ImprintPeter Lang GmbH
- Weight230 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.