All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFrom the Collins Crime Club archive, the first original vel to feature Ben the Cockney tramp, the urthodox detective character created by J. Jefferson Farjeon, author of Mystery in White. Strange things are happening in the untenanted houses of Jowle Street. There are unaccountable creakings and weird kckings on the door of No.29, where a homeless ex-sailor has taken up residence. But even stranger things are happening in the House Opposite, from where a beautiful woman in an evening gown brings Ben a mysterious message; and worse-the offer of a job! Ben the 'passing tramp' was immortalised on film by Alfred Hitchcock in 'Number 17', based on a popular 'twenties stage play and velisation by journalist-turned-author Joe Jefferson Farjeon. The House Opposite (1931) was the first full-length original vel to feature Ben, a reluctant down-at-heels Cockney sleuth, who went on to feature in six more successful detective thrillers from 1931 to 1952. This Detective Story Club classic includes an introduction by H. R. F. Keating, author of the award-winning Inspector Ghote mysteries, which first appeared in the Crime Club's 1985 'Disappearing Detectives' series.
- Author BiographyJ. Jefferson Farjeon (1883-1955) was the author of more than 60 crime and thriller novels. His work was highly acclaimed in his day. He is now best known as the author of the bestselling Mystery in White , and also No.17 , a play that was brought to the big screen by Alfred Hitchcock and led to the series of popular 'Ben' detective novels.
- Author(s)J. Jefferson Farjeon
- PublisherHarperCollins Publishers
- Date of Publication31/12/2015
- SubjectCrime, Thriller & Adventure
- Series TitleThe Detective Club
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCollins Crime Club
- Weight310 g
- Width126 mm
- Height190 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Introduction byH. R. F. Keating
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $31.48Trending at AU $32.14
- AU $161.21Trending at AU $168.37
- AU $65.85Trending at AU $78.78
- AU $11.89Trending at AU $18.34
- AU $12.89Trending at AU $16.81
- AU $36.85Trending at AU $51.53
- AU $20.49Trending at AU $26.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.