Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $70.99Trending at AU $78.50
- AU $65.99Trending at AU $71.11
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $113.99
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $84.59
- AU $70.90Trending at AU $76.22
- AU $12.63Trending at AU $18.66
- AU $16.67Trending at AU $22.43
About this product
- DescriptionIt is t well-kwn that The Devil is a semi-autobiographical work, based on an episode of sexual temptation Tolstoy experienced towards a young woman named Domna in 1880. Fully aware of the consequences awaiting him should he act on his impulses, Tolstoy resisted, finding emotional solace in the confidences of friends. Years after, when the danger was long over, he wrote a full account of the incident to a friend; this resulted in his writing this story, The Devil. Tolstoy had imagined the consequences that might have resulted from his acting on his temptation, and used that as inspiration for the story. The ancient conceptions of the flesh versus the spirit, and women as the devil's agents are brought to fruition here. Written in 1889, this story was t published until 1911, the year following Tolstoy's death. Due to its posthumous publication, it is unkwn which the the two endings Tolstoy would have adopted for its final edition.
- Author(s)Aylmer Maude,Leo Tolstoy,Louise Maude
- Date of Publication01/01/2011
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight59 g
- Width127 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine3 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.