All listings for this product
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $72.53
- AU $92.82Trending at AU $103.78
- AU $66.82Trending at AU $74.72
- AU $20.99Trending at AU $22.68
- AU $15.63Trending at AU $22.29
- AU $15.79Trending at AU $18.37
- AU $8.65Trending at AU $14.26
About this product
- DescriptionMonths after the Battle of Dianthus, Jag Garrick and Charley Rose have been taking a well-deserved holiday, during which Charley tries to tutor Jag in the basics of magic. But then a summons from the Emperor brings them back to the capital where they find themselves called upon for an important diplomatic mission. A peace treaty between the empires of Dianthus and Krakenbar has been proposed, and the presence of the year's most celebrated hero at the negotiations is requested. Could the Old War finally be over? Talks are to take place in Salamanca, the impregnable Krakenbaric fortress-city on the border between the two empires, commonly kwn as The Devil's Gate. However, there is more to the purported diplomacy than meets the eye, and they will soon be caught up in a secret plot to seize control of the city while trying to avoid the Krakenbaric government's own schemes. Amidst the politics and espionage, they will need allies old and new in order to survive. Meanwhile, at the Dianthus Mages' Guild College, Avana Solen starts work on her research project. Initially the esoteric and very theoretical discipline of Translocation seemed the least interesting or useful assignment imaginable, but that is all about to change with the discovery of mysterious and incomprehensible devices on board the captured skyship Midnight Blade. Her attempt to find the purpose of this techlogy will bring her and her brother Aramil to the city states of the Tastella River south of Krakenbar, and eventually even further afield. Throughout all this the Cult of Maar continue their secret work. Their defeat at Dianthus was a setback, but only a temporary one. Plans to bring the world under the control of their new order continue, and the day of the true invasion draws nearer... The Devil's Gate explores the cold war between Dianthus and Krakenbar, the reasons for the conflict and the lengths to which the two superpowers are willing to go to achieve dominance. It also sees Jag and Charley dealing with the aftermath of the events of The Two Empires. Can Jag adjust to his new-found celebrity and those who want to manipulate him for their own purposes? Are lovestruck heroics really a good foundation for a relationship? Find out in the thrilling second part of The Malkovari War, with all the diplomatic intrigue, undercover operations, assassinations, shocking discoveries and skyship chases you could hope for!
- Author BiographyJack K Burroughs was born in 1990 in Bury St Edmunds, England. He studied Law at Downing College, Cambridge, and now works in Cambridge as a solicitor. Jack first started work on The Two Empires while still at school, on the basis that he liked to read but would like it even more if he got to decide what happened in the story. The first draft was completed over the course of several years, and since then was rewritten again and again until Jack was finally happy with the text. Having failed to learn his lesson the first time around, he promptly started work on the sequel. Aside from reading and writing, Jack enjoys good company, good beer and (to his continual surprise) jogging. He would like to be able to draw but has no talent for it, which is why you won't see any of his illustrations in The Two Empires.
- Author(s)Jack K Burroughs
- PublisherCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Date of Publication24/12/2015
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectScience Fiction & Fantasy
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight395 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.