All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOne of the best-kwn and best-loved works of Buddhist literature, the Dhammapada forms part of the oldest surviving body of Buddhist writings, and is traditionally regarded as the authentic teachings of the Buddha himself, spoken by him in his lifetime, and memorized and handed on by his followers after his death. A collection of simple verses gathered in themes such as 'awareness', 'fools' and 'old age', the Dhammapada is accessible, instructional and mind-clearing, with lessons in each verse to give ethical advice and to remind the listener of the transience of life.
- Author BiographyValerie Roebuck was born in Hertfordshire in 1950. She studied at the University of Cambridge, where she was awarded a BA (Hons) in Oriental Studies, specializing in Sanskrit and other Indian languages, and a Ph.D. for a thesis on South Indian Bronzes. A freelance scholar and lecturer, she is an Honorary Research Fellow of the University of Manchester. Dr Roebuck has a broad interest in Indian language, culture and religion. She is a Buddhist, practising and teaching meditation in the Samatha tradition and is involved in interfaith work in Manchester. Her previous publications include The Circle of Stars: An Introduction to Indian Astrology, and she has translated The Upanishads for Penguin Classics.
- PublisherPenguin Books Ltd
- Date of Publication26/08/2010
- SubjectNon-Christian Religions
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPenguin Classics
- Weight236 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Translated byValerie J. Roebuck
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $74.54Trending at AU $75.65
- AU $35.53Trending at AU $38.58
- AU $31.33Trending at AU $37.07
- AU $17.67Trending at AU $22.78
- AU $13.08Trending at AU $16.63
- AU $37.61Trending at AU $38.34
- AU $26.33Trending at AU $50.97
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.