All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $73.29
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $71.81
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $70.75
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $103.44
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.95
- AU $53.09Trending at AU $58.60
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $112.55
About this product
- DescriptionThe Dick Van Dyke Show (CBS 1961-1966) was a uniquely self-reflexive sitcom that drew on vaudevillian tropes at a time when vaudeville-based comedy variety was disappearing from television. At the same time, it reflected the liberal politics of the Kennedy era and gave equal time to home and work as it ushered in a new image of the sitcom family. In The Dick Van Dyke Show, author Joanne Morreale analyzes the series' invative form and content that altered the terrain of the television sitcom. Morreale begins by finding the roots of The Dick Van Dyke Show in the vaudeville-based comedy variety show and the showbiz sitcom, even as it brought table updates to the form. She also considers how the series reflects the social context of Kennedy's New Frontier and its impact on the television industry, as The Dick Van Dyke Show responded to criticisms of television as mass entertainment. She goes on to examine the series as an early example of quality television that also pointed to the complex narrative of today, examining the show's progressive representations of race, ethnicity, and gender that influenced the content of later sitcoms. Morreale concludes by considering The Dick Van Dyke Show's afterlife, suggesting that the various reappearances of the characters and the show itself demonstrates television's transseriality. Fans of The Dick Van Dyke Show and readers interested in American television and cultural history will appreciate this insightful reading of the series.
- Author BiographyJoanne Morreale is associate professor in the media and screen studies program at Northeastern University. Her most recent book is The Donna Reed Show (Wayne State University Press, 2012).
- Author(s)Joanne Morreale
- PublisherWayne State University Press
- Date of Publication30/11/2015
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Series TitleTV Milestones Series
- Place of PublicationDetroit, MI
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWayne State University Press
- Content Note20 illustrations
- Weight525 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine10 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.