All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFrom the inception of Dooky Chases Restaurant in 1941, the establishment has functioned as a gathering place for the black political community of New Orleans, with the incomparable Leah Chase at the center of it all. As life for blacks gradually began to change, the restaurant became a hub of political activity during the Civil Rights movement of the 60s. Chase attributes the initial popularity of the new Dooky Chase to a change in her gumbo recipe, insisting, It wasnt until I changed the whole menu to Creole that I really got acceptance from everybody. She originally tried to gain patrons by serving dishes such as jambalaya, fried chicken, shrimp, and oystersfoods that blacks wouldnt rmally eat at homebut eventually changed the entire menu. Inventive as well as traditional Creole dishes are the mainstay of Chases repertoire. B.L.T. Soup, Bushalini, Stewed Tripe with Pigs Feet, Grillades, Squirrel Pie, Low-Sodium Creole Red Kidney Beans, Stuffed Onions, and Old-Fashioned Bread Pudding have all graced the tables of Dooky Chase.
- Author BiographyLeah Chase started out at the age of eighteen working in a laundry in the French Quarter, but she soon found a job at the Colonial Restaurant on Chartres Street. In 1946, she married Dooky Chase Jr. and shortly after entered his familys restaurant business, which would grow into the beloved Dooky Chases Restaurant. Over the years, as Chases expertise and popularity grew, she was able to exert more influence upon the cuisine and atmosphere of the restaurant, marrying her down-home sensibilities with the Creole food she loved.
- Author(s)Leah Chase
- PublisherPelican Publishing Co
- Date of Publication01/01/1940
- SubjectNational & Regional Cuisine
- Place of PublicationGretna, LA
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPelican Publishing Co
- Content Note13 colour art photos
- Weight201 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best-selling in Cook Books
Save on Cook Books
- AU $13.00Trending at AU $15.58
- AU $37.35Trending at AU $39.74
- AU $21.55Trending at AU $22.86
- AU $17.27Trending at AU $27.11
- AU $5.75Trending at AU $10.04
- AU $32.08Trending at AU $34.92
- AU $28.85Trending at AU $31.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.