All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $60.69Trending at AU $73.28
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.54
- AU $20.46Trending at AU $26.08
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.78
- AU $33.32Trending at AU $36.33
- AU $36.16Trending at AU $49.55
- AU $18.16Trending at AU $21.18
About this product
- DescriptionAn ambitious--in fact, audacious--book. As far as I kw, one else has attempted such a wide-ranging analysis, and comparison, in depth of these two countries--which are t only the most populous countries in the world but among the most complex ones. I do t kw anyone else today who would have either the temerity or the ability to make the kind of sophisticated, subtle, comparative analysis that Taylor does of these two great countries. If he had asked my opinion, before he started, on whether he should attempt to write such a book, I probably would have advised him t to attempt the impossible. But in my opinion he pulls it off successfully. In short, I think it is a real tour de force. A. Doak Barnett, Johns Hopkins University This stimulating work offers a broad comparison of Indian and Chinese societies and the factors that have shaped their approaches to modernization. It describes India historically as a conquest society and China as a siege society, and examines Chinese and Indian attitudes toward religion, art, sex, family life, authority, foreigners, and each other. A comparison is made of the current social dynamics in the two countries, including sections on the new maharajas and the new mandarins, and on the large poverty groups that continue to exist in both countries.
- Author BiographyJAY TAYLOR is a U.S. Foreign Service Officer, he has served as Deputy Assistant Secretary of State, Bureau of Intelligence and Research, and as Political Counselor at the American Embassy in Beijing. He is the author of China and Southeast Asia.
- Author(s)Jay Taylor
- Date of Publication21/06/1991
- SubjectRegional History
- Series TitleContributions to Study of World History
- Series Part/Volume Number8
- Place of PublicationWestport
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPraeger Publishers Inc
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight436 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition StatementNew edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.