All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOne of the masters of 'weird fiction', H. P. Lovecraft expanded the vast boundaries of the horror genre with his vividly imagined stories of exotic and fantastical otherworlds, nightmarish dreamscapes or the supernatural terrors lurking beneath the surface of small-town America. The shadow of New England's witch-hunting past hangs over many of the tales, as in 'The Shunned House' and 'The Dreams in the Witch House', in which malevolent spectres return to haunt the region. Others, such as 'From Beyond' and 'The Shadow Out of Time', depict the catastrophic results when cosmic channels of time and space are opened, while stories such as 'Polaris' and 'The Doom that Came to Sarnath' portray the downfall of mythical civilizations.
- Author BiographyHorror master Lovecraft (1890-1937) frequently used dreams in his tales of the supernatural to evoke fantastic worlds inconceivable to the conscious mind. He wrote many essays and poems early in his career, but gradually focussed on the writing of horror stories. S.T. Joshi is a freelance writer and editor. Among his critical and biographical studies are The Weird Tale (1990), and H.P. Lovecraft: A Life (1996). He has also edited Lovecraft's The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories for Penguin.
- Author(s)H. P. Lovecraft,S. T. Joshi
- PublisherPenguin Books Ltd
- Date of Publication07/04/2005
- SubjectShort Stories & Fiction Anthologies
- Series TitlePenguin Modern Classics
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPenguin Classics
- Weight330 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $69.05Trending at AU $73.63
- AU $86.86Trending at AU $95.16
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $83.93
- AU $11.66Trending at AU $16.47
- AU $14.54Trending at AU $15.57
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.76
- AU $21.57Trending at AU $24.28
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.