All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book provides an in-depth analysis of the mechanisms and biological consequences of geme rearrangements in bacteria. Geme rearrangements are a result of the actions of discrete genetic elements such as conjugative transposons, plasmids, phage, and n-conjugative transposons. Bacteria also contain systems to mediate genetic rearrangements such as the general recombination pathway and specialized endogeus recombination mechanisms. The biological effects of these rearrangements are far-reaching and impact on bacterial virulence, antibiotic resistance and the ability of bacteria to avoid the attentions of the host immune system (e.g. antigenic variation). These rearrangements also provide the raw material on which natural selection can act. Each chapter examines the mechanisms involved in geme rearrangements and the direct biological consequences of these events. This book is written by leading research workers and is an invaluable resource for graduate students and researchers in this field.
- Author BiographyPeter Mullany is a Reader in Molecular Microbiology at University College London. His main research interests are the molecular biology and molecular ecology of conjugative transposons. He has been at the forefront of this work for the past 10 years and has pioneered the genetic analysis of the important human pathogen Clostridium difficile.
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication26/09/2005
- SubjectLife Sciences: General
- Series TitleAdvances in Molecular and Cellular Microbiology
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo. 8
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note70 b/w illus. 9 colour illus. 10 tables
- Weight835 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine30 mm
- Edited byPeter Mullany
- Series Edited byB. Henderson,Michael Wilson,Anthony R. M. Coates,Michael Curtis
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.95Trending at AU $23.55
- AU $32.88Trending at AU $36.70
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.07
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.48
- AU $44.08Trending at AU $51.53
- AU $23.80Trending at AU $32.83
- AU $16.92Trending at AU $19.26
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.