All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $23.46
- AU $30.21Trending at AU $34.66
- AU $7.99Trending at AU $14.03
- AU $21.13Trending at AU $25.62
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.98
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $98.05
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $14.03
About this product
- DescriptionThe Educational Lockout of African Americans in Prince Edward County, Virginia (1959-1964): Personal Accounts and Reflections provides ground-breaking research on the historical events surrounding the Prince Edward County's school closings. For five years (1959-1964), the families of 1,700 African American students were forced to cope with the absence of public schooling in the county. Their efforts led to the case Davis v. the County School Board of Prince Edward County, which was one of the cases that were consolidated with Brown v. Board of Education of Topeka, Kansas. The book offers the reader two exciting sections. In the first section, the contributing authors provide interesting findings on Grassroots schools, the Kennedy administration, and an African American movement during the Prince Edward County school closings. In the second section, the authors provide the reader with personal reflections and a lecture from four professors whose parents were affected by the Prince Edward County lockout. Three of the four professors were graduates of the Prince Edward County school system.
- Author BiographyTerence Hicks is the department chairperson and associate professor of research in the Department of Educational Leadership at Fayetteville State University, NC. He earned his bachelor and master degrees from Virginia State University and a doctorate from Wilmington University, Delaware. Currently, he is pursuing his Ph.D. in counseling with a cognate in psychology from North Carolina State University. Dr. Hicks is also a graduate of Prince Edward County High School. Abul Pitre is the former Carter G. Woodson Professor of Education at Edinboro University of Pennsylvania. Currently, he is an associate professor of educational leadership at Fayetteville State University where he teaches doctoral courses in the program.
- PublisherUniversity Press of America
- Date of Publication03/02/2010
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Series TitleIssues in Black Education
- Place of PublicationLanham, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity Press of America
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight299 g
- Width161 mm
- Height240 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Edited byAbul Pitre,Terence Hicks
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.