Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $79.06
- AU $70.86Trending at AU $126.78
- AU $6.83Trending at AU $10.44
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.49
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $22.27
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.41
- AU $40.00Trending at AU $40.65
About this product
- DescriptionThis book features the iron colossus: the construction of the Eiffel Tower in drawings and photographs.When it was completed in 1889, the Eiffel Tower was the highest structure in the world, measuring 300 meters (984 feet). Built for the World's Fair, it was initially granted a 20-year permit; this permit was thankfully extended and w the Eiffel Tower is one of the world's most famous structures, having become practically synymous with Paris itself and receiving more than six million visitors annually.This reprint explores the design and construction of this remarkable building; published in 1900 as a large folio by Gustave Eiffel himself in a limited edition of 500 copies, the original was never sold on the market - it was exclusively given and donated by Eiffel. Featuring 53 double-page plates of 4,300 technical drawings explaining the design as well as 33 photographs of the construction, the book reveals the complex and fascinating process of bringing the Eiffel Tower to life. Though the technical drawing will especially appeal to designers wishing to discover the engineering genius behind Eiffel's masterpiece, everyone can appreciate this very rare and special book about Paris' glorious mascot.
- Author BiographySpecialist in the history of architecture, construction, and cities in the 19th and 20th centuries, Bertrand Lemoine has curated numerous exhibitions and has widely published on the subjects of architecture and the history of iron and metal structures, including several books on the subject of Gustave Eiffel. Lemoine is director of the journal Architecture Acier Construction and has been editor in chief of AMC- Le Moniteur Architecture and L'Acier pour Construire. He is a member of the Academie d'architecture and teaches history of construction at l'Ecole d'architecture de Marne-la-Vallee. He is Research Director at the CNRS (National Center for Scientific Research) in Paris.
- Author(s)Bertrand Lemoine
- PublisherTaschen GmbH
- Date of Publication30/09/2008
- LanguageGerman, French, English
- Place of PublicationCologne
- Country of PublicationGermany
- ImprintTaschen GmbH
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight1973 g
- Width420 mm
- Height296 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edition StatementTaschen's 25th anniversary ed
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.